Can I get a divorce in Australia if I was married overseas?

Foreign marriages are recognized in Australia. However there are jurisdictional requirements for the court to make a divorce order including if the person applying for the divorce is an Australian Citizen or is a resident of Australia intending to live in Australia permanently. Speak to a lawyer to ensure that these requirements are met including what official translated documents must  be filed in the court.

Do you have a question about family law or relationship law?

Call now 1300 712 729

If you would prefer an Australian Family Lawyers team member to contact you, complete the form below.